Saturday, July 3, 2010

On a New Orleans Balcony



Whenever my husband and I go to New Orleans, we've always stayed in the Garden District, but never in a 'room with a view'. That is to say, a balcony room overlooking the Quarter. Well this time, we made a special point to do just that, and I can't wait!

Built around 1833, the Hotel Villa Convento is rumored to be the 'House of the Rising Sun', and is supposedly haunted. It was also known at one time as a rooming house called 'The Old Town Villa' where artist such as Jimmy Buffet spent his early life in New Orleans. Sounds interesting, but what I'm looking forward to more than that is the fact it sits right across the street from a French bakery! I know, not so grand of a fact, but can you imagine leisurely waking up to the smell of freshly baked pastry knowing all you have to do is walk a few steps to enjoy it? That, and a couple o' cups of Creole java for breakfast on the balcony should keep us going until we find a hidden cafe' to enjoy a cool lunch. We aren't the type to find the fanciest place to dine, but would so much rather find somewhere unique and obscure. One of those 'you'll know it when you see it' kind of places. Then, when we're out, we'll pick up some cheeses from the corner market with some olives, crusty bread, and a special bottle of wine to take back for a candlelit evening on the balcony.

I'm also looking forward to strolling down to the French Market to find the perfect set of wind chimes to add to my collection. There is a certain plum tree right off our patio where I hang them all. Even when a slight breeze blows through the trees, it sounds like an orchestrated symphony perfectly synchronized. And on a cold winter day when everything is quiet, their chimes bring the warmth of a summer day to mind. I'm not sure when my love for wind chimes started, but it seems they've been in my life forever.

It may not seem like much of a vacation to most, and it's sure not as far from home as some are traveling, but to the two of us, it's a mini getaway that we are very much looking forward to. And isn't that all one needs to come home refreshed and ready to dig in again? Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Always~
Cha

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra,
    I love this post...interesting about the house of the rising sun!

    I did get the tea set at Plum Point....was that your daughter's home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Diane, that's my daughter's home. I can't tell you how surprised and pleased I was when I pulled up your blog and there sat the precious tea set of my great aunt's! You have no idea how I struggled to give that up, but as you well know, you just can't keep everything. I didn't see the little 'plates' that were included in the set. Please tell me you have those also. And please forgive the dust. After cleaning other articles which had been stored deeply away, I just said, "to heck w/it" and put it all out 'as is'.

    ReplyDelete