Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Coming Out of Hibernation



It's as if I'm having to shake them awake. Those sleepy big plants that live inside all winter long like shaggy old bears in a cave. I look so forward to each Spring when I can pull and tug at them until they finally give in to sliding out the door and across the veranda into their rightful place. Each one seems to yawn as I give a much needed 'haircut', making them stand up just a little bit straighter. But what really brings them to life is their first seasonal shower with the hose. Now THAT gets their attention! I'll give them a few days before they get a dose of Peter's Plant Food. They may be ravenous, but like any living thing, I'm of the thinking a little at a time is best after such a long sleep.

This winter I decided to leave all of the Asparagus Ferns outside. Usually, I bring in the two smaller ones so that when Spring arrives, all they need is the same treatment the other plants get. I have to say I was very proud of how they withstood the winter and kept their green all the way through Christmas. But then the hardest part of winter started to hit and like everything else outside, they crawled within themselves and seemed to die away. I've been so disappointed about that fact until yesterday morning as I was surveying what needed to be done. In the midst of old mulch, I spotted a few green sprigs. Bless their little hearts, they're alive.

So, like all of us coming out of our winter shells and surviving one more damp, cold winter, they will thrive in the sunshine of God's love and the tender care of my hands. Now, I wonder what I can spruce up the flower beds with this year. Time to go shopping!

Always~
Cha



2 comments:

  1. I never know when I should bring my ferns in-left them out this year and the bit the dust...gotta replace all the plants on the front porch....so I know how you feel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing that for years, then finally decided to try something w/those ferns that grace our porches every year. Like yours, mine were left out to fend for themselves. By the time Spring rolled around, they were nothing but dried up clumps. Before tossing the ferns, I gave them a good 'haircut' and after fertilizing, kept them wet and shaded. In no time I had fronds popping out! So, save your money and give them a chance. It's sure worth a try to start early next year!

    ReplyDelete