Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Compliment A Day Keeps The Blues Away


I don't know about you, but I've known people in my life who simply do not know how to give a compliment. Matter of fact, I can think of several I know right now who not only don't give any, they stand there like a knot on a log when someone compliments another standing right next to them. All the while, their expression is saying, "you gave them a compliment, now what about me?". I have to admit, that's hard for me to take. It's a pretty self centered person who does that, and one I personally need to allow a few years of growing up before they hear a compliment from me.

Southerners seem to be notorious in giving compliments. It's as easy as slappin' butter on grits for us. But are the compliments always taken as sincere? And if we have to be truthful about ourselves, are they always given in complete sincerity? Who hasn't witnessed a group of ladies gabbing as another female approaches the circle. Suddenly the flock is a flitter with giggles and smiles as the compliments fly. I take those with a grain of salt because I know Southern women just have to compare notes after the poor soul has walked away. Bless our hearts.

Those are more of a surface compliment, but I'm talking about taking the time to notice someone who really needs one. Catching someone unaware is the best time, in my opinion, to do just that. When their head is down and they're thinking about how hard life is, that's the time they need encouragement. In that given moment is the opportunity to brighten someone's day.

Since being back at the gym for a couple of years, I've seen men and women both drift in who have decided to do something about their weight and overall health. Now those are some people who can use some encouragement. So I watch, and give them a few weeks. Then, while they're walking around the track and inconspicuously trying to look at themselves in the mega mirrors which are everywhere you turn, I lay a compliment on them. Not just one that's off the wall, but one that says I've noticed the effort they're making. And I have to say, I really do mean it, simply because I know what an effort it is just to get down there! Plus, when someone is trying, they stand taller, their stride is better, and they have a determination that cannot be faulted. It doesn't matter if they've lost two pounds or twenty, it's the effort that counts. Once they realize someone has just given them a compliment, their face brightens and they receive it graciously because they know themselves how hard they're trying. It's just nice that someone else has noticed.

So, from now on, let's try to see the people around us who need a compliment. Really, we never know the kind of day a person is having. By speaking encouragement into their lives, we may be helping them far more than we realize. If each of us committed to giving at least one compliment a day to a loved one, acquaintance, or even a stranger, think how much kinder this old world could be. Taking our eyes off of self for just a bit and giving wholeheartedly to another will do us all good. And guess what? It's still one of the few things that's free!

Always~
Cha

No comments:

Post a Comment